Maggie and Ted

Maggie and Ted
My sweetheart and me

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Does prayer season my speech?

Cate and I have been reading through Colossians for our morning devotions together.  It is such a practical, powerful little book with so many spiritual nuggets that transform.  Like this morning's passage in chapter 4.  Verse 2 says, "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful....V4-6..'Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders, make the most of every opportunity.  Let your conversation be always full of grace seasoned with salt so that you may know how to answer everyone."

As I have thought more about this passage, I have been thinking about how staying in prayer puts a check on my spirit and my tongue and truly does help me to have more grace and more "salt" to season the conversation with.  Prayer also sometimes helps us to act as we should toward outsiders, those who don't know the Lord just yet.

Ted, Cate and I were over at Grammy and GrampyDear's house on Sunday and he had been asked to go over and pray with someone all because she had heard him praying from the heart one night as he asked the blessing on the food.  She had been invited over with some other people and her heart was unexpectedly touched by the salt and grace of Grampy Dear.  He was so surprised a few weeks later when he received the request for him to pray for this lady.   We never know when our speech or attitude will make an impact on someone else.  But I know that I do love to be around people whose conversation is full of grace.

I am so thankful for this passage.  God told us to have gracious speech and be salt and light to this dark world,  so we can do it with His amazing power!  May the Lord bless all of us with a greater prayer life and also with gracious speech that seasons the conversation and is a witness for our Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment