Maggie and Ted

Maggie and Ted
My sweetheart and me

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Self-control...is what I need....

Anyone remember that worship song from about 10 or more years ago..."Holiness, holiness is what I long for;
Holiness is what I need..."  I have been meditating this week on all the ways I need more self-control in my life.  One, to keep my heart and mind fixed on Jesus and not allow the words or actions of others to distract me.  Two, to keep my tongue under His control so that I don't say everything that comes to mind but only that which edifies the hearer.  My poor Cate, the last child, has to hear so many of my blunders in saying too much or saying what isn't necessary.  I thank God she is so forgiving and sweet and patient.  Speaking of patience....that is another one I need.  But back to self-control.....how many days do I wake up and pray for God to help me lose weight today and then feel defeated at the end of the day.  Ohhh  I could be so very discouraged if I didn't keep in mind that self-control is a fruit that is growing in me along with the other fruit of the Spirit.  And I could be so very discouraged if I didn't keep remembering that God isn't measuring me by my perfection, or terrible lack thereof, but rather by the righteous covering that He has placed on my life in Jesus.  I want to have more self-control so that God can be glorified in my life.  Lord, help me to keep looking to You  to do a deeper work of your Spirit in me and my flesh, that I might please you and bring you glory all the days of my life.  amen.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I definitely need more self-control and patience in my life as well! Your constant dependence on God to continue changing you has been such a testimony and example to me to do the same. I love you!

    ReplyDelete